CanopyStyle: What they do and why it matters
Posted on May 09 2016
On May 3rd Canopy Planet hosted an event at our Queen St. loft in Toronto to raise awareness of their CanopyStyle initiative. It was an intimate evening that brought together members of various industries to learn about how fashion brands can do their part to protect ancient and endangered forests across the globe. Miik is a proud supporter of CanopyStyle, in fact we were one of the very first fashion brands to pledge our commitment to safeguarding the worlds forests, species and climate! Now there are more than 60 brands, designers and retailers on board including Eileen Fisher, Marks & Spencer and Levi Strauss & Co.
Some facts from CanopyStyle.org:
- More than 70 million trees are logged every year and turned into cellulosic fabric – if placed end to end those trees would circle the earth 7 times
- Dissolving-pulp (the base material for rayon/viscose) wastes approximately 70% of the tree and is a chemically intensive manufacturing process
- Dissolving-pulp production is projected to double by 2050
- Less than 20 percent of the world’s ancient forests remain in intact
- Forests in Indonesia, Canada’s own Boreal and temperate rainforests and the Amazon are currently being logged for next season’s fashion and apparel industry
To combat this destruction, Canopy works to educate and inform both fashion brands and consumers about the dangers of the fashion industry. Thankfully, with increased awareness and innovation in the textile industry there are solutions and ways in which we can protect the environment against future harm.
Click here to learn more about Miik’s commitment to sustainability and CanopyStyle.
Below is a video from the Canopy event describing in greater detail what their model of change is and how it fits into the fashion industry. Canopy also touches on their developed solutions and how we can engage society further to make a shift towards a more sustainable future.