At Miik, using sustainable fabrics is part of our mission to make luxurious clothing that looks good, feels good, and does good. Our commitment to sustainability begins with selecting materials with a low environmental impact. We care about the world we live in, and it’s up to us to keep it in the best shape we can. Read on to learn about the benefits of sustainable MicroModal fabric.
What is MicroModal Fabric?
MicroModal is a luxurious type of modal rayon fabric similar to linen and silk, but is much easier to care for. This semi-synthetic fibre is made from the pulp of beech trees. Like bamboo, beech trees are a self-seeding plant and a renewable resource. We’re aligned with the CanopyStyle Initiative to ensure the trees used in our fabric production are sustainably harvested and are not sourced from ancient and endangered forests.
At Miik, we use Lenzing MicroModal to make sure we meet the highest standards of environmental responsibility. Lenzing is known for their commitment to sustainable fabric production and their closed-loop processes. In their production of MicroModal, the pulp and fibre are produced in one location and 95% of the materials produced are recovered to reduce energy use and minimize waste.
Our MicroModal fabric is finely knit and has a soft and silky feel, inspiring soft, flowing designs that drape beautifully on the body. It’s lightweight and resists wrinkling (which makes it fantastic for travel) and holds its colour after repeated washing and wearing. Depending on the style, at times we prefer to use Modal fabric over our rayon from bamboo, since it has such a lightweight element to it that drapes so nicely. All our melange fabrics—which are subtly multicoloured fabrics— are also made form our MicroModal.
How MicroModal Fabric is Made
First, cellulose is extracted from the sustainably-harvested beech trees and then compressed into flat sheets. The cellulose sheets are treated with a chemical, broken into small pieces, and treated a second time. This results in a thick liquid, which is put through a spinneret to make the fibres. Finally, those fibres are soaked in a chemical solution, stretched, and turned into yarn which is then woven into MicroModal fabric.
The Benefits of MicroModal Fabric
- It keeps you dry. MicroModal is often used to make sportswear and undergarments because of its moisture-wicking properties. It is 50% more absorbent than traditional cotton, which tends to retain liquid and can make for an uncomfortable situation. MicroModal helps you stay cool and comfortable whether you’re at the gym or giving a big presentation to your boss.
- It keeps its fit. Our MicroModal fabric has 4-way stretch that moves with you without losing its shape. It also doesn’t shrink so you don’t have to worry about your clothes not fitting after the first wash.
- It feels great. MicroModal fabric is exceptionally soft because it is very finely knit. That means it feels like high-maintenance fabrics like silk, but without the work!
- It’s breathable. Modal fabric is a popular choice for athletic clothes, loungewear, and undergarments because it’s so breathable. We think all clothes should be as comfy as loungewear, which is why we use MicroModal even in our tailored workwear.
- It’s long lasting. MicroModal resists pilling, fading, wrinkling, and losing its shape. It looks like new for much longer than other fabrics, so you’ll look put together the first, fifteenth, and fiftieth time you wear it. And the longer you can wear each item in your closet, the more sustainable your wardrobe becomes!
The Lucy legging has a 2” waistband for exceptional comfort and a streamlined silhouette. These leggings won’t fade or lose their shape like other natural fabrics. Wear them with any Miik tunic for a stylish yet totally comfy look. Shop modal leggings.
This women’s blazer has the softness and stretch of a cardigan with the look of a tailored jacket. 4-way stretch makes it the most comfortable blazer you’ll ever wear. Shop modal blazers.
The reversible Sherri tank is a great layering piece that offers two unique looks in one. All our striped patterns in the Sherri are offered in our buttery soft modal fabric. Wear it in the summer on its own, or layer it under a cardigan or blazer in the cooler months. Shop modal tanks.
For work or weekend, a turtleneck dress is a classic style that will serve you well. This exceptionally versatile dress can be worn belted, with a blazer, a cozy scarf, or your highest heels. Shop modal dresses.
The Presley top is a modern, versatile basic that pairs effortlessly with any pant or skirt. This versatile top can be dressed up or down for work, weekend, and everything in between. Shop modal tops.
Our June simple skirt is designed to have a smooth look even under fitted tops. Adjust the length by wearing it high at the waist or low on the hip. Create a beautiful, ultra-comfortable suit by pairing it with our classic Emily blazer or any of our StretchFit blazers. Dressed up or down, on its own or over tights or leggings, the June skirt is a must-have foundation piece for any time of year. Shop modal skirts.
From the city to the shore, the Jessie jumpsuit is a do-it-all, must-have outfit! This capri-length jumpsuit is one of our bestsellers, with a flattering straight-leg cut. Dress it up or down, fancy or casual. Shop modal jumpsuits.
Caring for MicroModal Fabric
Do both your wallet and the environment a favour: modal fabric can be washed at home in cold water and you can hang or lay flat to dry. Some items, like the blazers, are dry clean only so make sure to check the care instructions for each individual piece.