With the cold winter months slowly melting away, it’s time to start thinking about our wardrobes and how we want to transition from winter to spring fashion. So let’s pack away the bulky jackets and boots, and welcome spring in style!
You don’t need to revamp your entire closet or break the bank, we’ll show you how to make transitional pieces with the items you already likely have.
A few things to consider to spring-ify your closet:
- Colour - Start introducing more colour into your outfits. Spring typically means brighter and lighter shades, including white! Think of white cardigans like the Wesley or Rory to brighten things up. You also can’t go wrong with white jeans!
- Texture - Put away the beautiful cashmere, flannel and cozy fleece and look for smoother textured fabrics. Rayon from bamboo, modal, tencel, organic cotton or scuba are a few great eco-friendly choices.
- Pattern - Florals are always a popular choice for spring but don’t be afraid to try something new. Think of patterns like polka dots, gingham or bright stripes too! Check out our spring 2023 collection for inspo!
Winter to spring wardrobe essentials
- Basic t-shirts, tanks + blouses
- Lightweight sweaters
- Cardigans + jackets
- Trench coats + blazers
- Long sleeve dresses + sweater dresses
- Tights + leggings
- White jeans + light coloured pants
- Lightweight Scarves
- Ankle boots + sneakers
How to transition your wardrobe from winter to spring
- Make room. Start by clearing out your closet and putting away the bulky items in storage to make room for your spring wardrobe. Keep a few sweaters and jackets handy in case the weather takes a turn.
- Choose your colours wisely. We talked about choosing brighter and lighter shades but one of the best tips for those who shy away from bright colours is to choose a lighter shade of your favourite colour. Do you love blues? Great, choose a brighter blue for spring! If you’re not afraid to try new colours, try to lean into the spring palette and play around with bright colours like pinks, yellows and blues.
- Layer lightly. During the early spring season, weather can be unpredictable. Dressing in layers allows you to adjust your outfit accordingly. Start with a light base layer such as a t-shirt or blouse, then add a cardigan or a light jacket on top. As the day warms up, you can easily remove a layer. Look for sweaters and cardigans that aren’t bulky and in lighter fabrics. Trench coats are a great option!
- Embrace sweater dresses - A great way to bring your winter dress into spring is to pair it with ankle boots. You can even throw on a scarf and a cardigan if the mornings are a bit chilly. You’re not limited to just sweater dresses — any long sleeve or thicker fabric dress works just fine.
- Play around with scarves. Scarves are a must-have around this time, they add an extra layer of warmth when it's chilly and can be easily removed when it starts to heat up. It’s also an easy way to add colour and character to any outfit. Pack away the warm knits and welcome cute dainty scarves for spring. Try to pick a few neutral pairs and some with fun patterns. You can even mix in different fabrics like silk to welcome warmer weather.
- Pick out your shoes. Ankle boots are a great option for the transition period, as they offer more coverage than sandals but are still lighter than winter boots. Sneakers and loafers are also great options for spring too. Save your open toes for late spring, and bring out those ankle booties to rock with your dress.
Transitional winter to spring outfit ideas
With these tips and tricks, you should have no problem transitioning your wardrobe from winter to spring. After this, you may find gaps in your closet and that’s ok! When you have your basics sorted out, it makes mixing and matching a lot easier.
If you’re feeling a little overwhelmed and things aren’t matching as seamlessly as you’d like, take some time and learn about capsule wardrobes and how they can help you. You can even check out our blog on work capsule wardrobe where we create 30 outfits with 23 items (only 15 pieces of clothing!). You can also join our live shopping events where we give tons of styling tips and tricks and show styles on different sizes and body types. Check out our upcoming events HERE!
Your Miik team 🤍